Arrowroot powder is a starch extracted from the roots of the arrowroot plant. The plant is native to India and South America, where it was grown as an ancient herb and used medicinally to draw out toxins by native people.
It has gained tremendous popularity recently as a thickener in gluten-free cooking. Since it is entirely plant source it is vegan. It mixes easily at room temperature and can be used to replace cornflour.
Arrowroot is found growing wildly in Southern and Eastern India mostly in the states of Orissa and Kerala. Ours is sourced from Orissa where it is found in abundance; collected and processed by Tribal women.
- Arrowroot starch is used as a thickener in many foods such as puddings and sauces. It can also be used in baked goods.
- The starch has an extremely bland taste, which makes it suitable for neutral diets
- It is easily digestible and known to have a soothing effect on the stomach and help alleviate nausea
How to Use
- Simply replace in recipes using cornstarch.
- Arrowroot powder should be whisked into a cool liquid before adding to a sauce or other liquid based recipe, and it should be added towards the end. As overexposure to heat can destroy the gelling properties of arrowroot.
- Arrowroot powder can be used as a replacement for Cornstarch or all-purpose flour for thickening:
For every 1 Tbsp. of Cornstarch or 2 Tbsp. of All-Purpose Flour, substitute approximately 2 1/2 tsp. of Arrowroot powder